What is Director Identification Number (DIN)?
DIN is a unique Identification Number allotted to an individual who is appointed as a director of a company, upon making an application in form DIR-3 pursuant to section 153 & 154 of the Companies Act, 2013
In respect of a new company an application for allotment of DIN shall be made only through SPICe eform at the time of its incorporation.
What is the procedure of obtaining DIN?
Any person intending to become a director in a new Company is required to apply for the allotment of Director Identification Number only through SPICe eform at the time of incorporation.
Any person intending to become a director in an existing company shall have to make an application in eForm DIR3 for allotment of DIN and should follow the following procedure:
1. eForm DIR-3 has to follow the offline eFiling process. For more details regarding the same visit eFiling FAQ's.
2. Attach the photograph and scanned copy of supporting documents i.e. proof of identity, and proof of residence as per the guidelines. Physical documents are not required to submit at DIN cell.
3. Along with the supporting documents, verification by the applicant for applying for allotment of Director Identification Number (DIN) shall also be attached. This shall contain the Name, Father’s name, date of birth, present address and text of declaration and physical signature of the applicant.
4. The eForm shall have to be digitally signed and shall be uploaded on MCA21 portal.
5. Upon upload, Pay the fees for DIR-3 eForm. Only electronic payment of the fees shall be allowed (I.e. Netbanking / Credit Card). No challan payment will be accepted under revised procedure of DIN allotment.
The user is required to get himself/ herself registered on the MCA21 Portal to obtain login id, which is necessary for payment of the fees. After obtaining the login‐id, Login to the MCA21 portal and click on 'eForm upload' link available under the 'eForms' tab for uploading the eForm DIR-3. eForm DIN-3 will be processed only after the
DIN application fee is paid.
6. Upon upload and successful payment, In case Form DIR-3 details have not been identified as potential duplicate, Approved DIN shall be generated and if the details have been identified as potential duplicate, Provisional DIN shall be generated.
7. Processing of e Form DIR-3 In case, DIR-3 is a potential duplicate, the MCA DIN cell will examine the e Form DIR-3 and same shall be disposed of within one or two days.
8. Post‐approval changes in particulars of DIR-3 If there is any change in the particulars submitted in form DIN‐3, applicant can submit e‐form DIN‐6 online. For instance in the event of change of address of a director, he/ she is required to intimate this change by submitting eform DIN‐6 along with the required attested documents.
What things should be taken care of while filling form DIR-3?
Please note that Income Tax PAN is mandatory in case of Indian applicants so the applicant details (name, father's name, date of birth) should be as per the PAN details. The particulars filled in form DIN-3 should match with the details given in the supporting documents to be submitted along with DIN application. Any mis-match will lead to rejection of DIN application. Particulars filled in form DIR-3 should match with the details given in the supporting documents to be submitted along with DIN application. Any mis‐match will lead to rejection of DIN application.
Whether any fee is payable along with application for allotment of DIN?
Yes, DIN application fee of Rs. 500/‐ is payable w.e.f. 1st April 2014
How to enquire about the status of the payment made for Form DIR-3?
Status of the payment made for Form DIR-3 can be enquired from 'Track Payment Status' link on the homepage of
What are the scanned documents required to be attached with DIR-3?
High resolution photograph of the applicant
PAN is mandatory now. So copy of pan is mandatory for identity, name, father's name and date of birth.
Proof of father's name is not required in the case of foreign nationals
Copy of passport is mandatory as an id proof in the case of foreign nationals.
Present Address proof which should not be older than 2 months
Verification in Form No. DIR-4 is as per the format given on the website
Read more at Faq on Director Identification Number (DIN)